2014 "Charles F. Vollman Award" Recipient
Ellen Mata - June 18, 2014
As a founding member of the North Central Hollywood Civic Association, Ellen Mata has worked as an advocate for her community as either Vice President or President of the association for the past 15 years. She has led and worked through her civic association with City staff and elected officials on many neighborhood issues including tree plantings, park improvement projects, improvement to the Fred Lippman Multipurpose Center, homeless issues and code enforcement concerns.
Mata and her husband, Ray, have lived in their home in North Central Hollywood
for 43 years spending untold hours working to improve their neighborhood.
"Charles F. Vollman Award" Selection Process
Procedures for Selection
The deadline for submitting a nomination is usually during the month of May each year, for the Charles F. Vollman Award. This award is recognition for civic activism for the residents of Hollywood, Florida. According to an announcement from Larry Shafer, HCCA's Corresponding Secretary, nominations are to be submitted to HCCA President Charlotte Greenbarg following the Procedures for Selection.
•Must be a resident of the City of Hollywood for at least 5 years •Must demonstrate outstanding community involvement, leadership and civic activism •Must have unselfishly and voluntarily contributed to our community with recognizable results •Cannot be an elected official; a candidate running for office in the city, county or state; on the city,
county or state payroll; or presently a contractor for the city
• Only the members of each Civic Association who have voting rights in the HCCA may nominate
one candidate by written or electronic means
• The nomination must be sent to the president of the HCCA within the allocated time • The nomination must be approved by a recorded majority of the board of said association • The nomination must be signed by at least one board member of the nominating association • A list of all nominations and their nominating associations shall be publicly available and
emailed to all member associations
• Submissions must include a detailed biography clearly stating the reasons for the nomination,
including but not limited to their accomplishments and qualifications
• Detailed biographies shall be available to member associations upon request
• The impartial electing panel will consist of the following persons: • A member of the Vollman family • A voting member of the HCCA chosen by majority vote at a regular meeting by the voting
members present at said meeting
• An available City Commissioner chosen by the majority of the HCCA board of directors • The earliest available and willing recpient of the Vollman award that has not already served in this capacity • An executive member of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce chosen by the Chamber Board.
Majority VoteA majority vote of this panel is required. In case that one or more of the 5 panelists named above cannot serve in a particular year, that position will be occupied by one or more members of the HCCA Board. The order will be President, Vice President, Teasurer, Recording Secretary and Correspondence Secretary.